Monday, May 14, 2012

Long wet ride home 452 miles

I woke up early as there was a BIG storm system moving east out of Texas.  It was 3;25 am when I awoke ( I did go to bed pretty early) without an alarm clock.   I dressed and was ready to pull out by 3:45 am...... it was raining already.

I made several discoveries on the way home:

  • The FJR is a great bike in the rain -- I felt some nice protection from the fairing and the ability to trim the windshield  to direct the rain and wind where I needed it to be able to see.
  • The Frog Toggs road toad rain suit combined with some rain booties and a full face helmet kept me nice & dry
  • Once I decided to hit the slab (I-75)  -- I found another facet of the FJR --- stability at speed.  By this time I was down near Valdosta and the roads were dry.  Cruising at speed was SO STABLE.  When cruising at speed you must be aware of ALL vehicles and trust no-one but yourself and your bike.
It was a great ride home in spite of the rain

TOTAL TRIP MILAGE----  1,622 miles in five days

No comments:

Post a Comment